Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 25, 2012




"CALLED TO LOVE"

A MEDITATION/REFLECTION BY JOYCE RUPP

For one being to love another,
that is perhaps the most difficult of all tasks,
the ultimate, the last test and proof.
The work for which all other work is but preparation.

-Rainer Maria Rilke - 


Jesus, you are "filled with love" for me 
just as you were for the rich young person who came to you. 
I, too, have riches, a wealth of love within me, 
that is meant to be shared. 
I yearn to have a deep desire for goodness 
so that I can leave some of the things I'm greedy for 
and focus my heart on the deeper values of your love.
  I yearn to love as you have loved. (Mk 10:17-22).

Jesus, there are places within my heart 
that are still unfree and fearful. 
You made yourself available to the Samaritan woman 
and you pursued her with your strong belief in her inner treasures.  
I, too, am meant to be a person of love 
who announces hope to others (Jn 4: 1-42)

Jesus, you told a powerful story of a person 
who stopped on a risky road to care for someone's wounds. 
Help me to stop at the unpleasant places in my life, 
to be present to those who need a touch of love,
 especially on those days 
when my life is moving hurriedly and intensely.  
Grant me the courage to be less fearful of reaching out 
and walking with others 
who need a gesture of kindness and care. (Lk. 10:29-37)

Jesus, you welcomed a penitent woman 
who came to bathe your feet with her tears. 
Your recognized the beauty of her love and the depth of her sorrow. 
There are tears within me which need to be shed 
for the pain I've cause and the hurt I've generated.
 You are a loving welcome for me 
as I come with repentance. 
Thank you for all the times 
you've welcomed me home. (Lk 7:36-50)

Jesus, you loved your own, loved them to the end."
 You bent low before them, smelled their dirty feet,
 and washed them tenderly. 
You then asked them to share that same great love with others. 
I, your, servant, am called to share my gifts 
and talents with those who are part of my life. 
I am not meant to be a doormat for them 
but I am called to be generous and humble 
with the deeds that I do.  
May it be so. (Jn13:1-15)

Jesus, you called your disciples friends. 
You recognized the great blessing 
they were for you on  your journey. 
Thank you for the gift of my significant persons, 
for the privilege of walking through life with them.
 Remind me often of the strength and courage
 these loved ones give to me.  
May the joy I experience through them 
radiate love in my life to all who know me. (Jn 15: 1-7)